Future Institute’s main goal is to promote Concept Schools graduates’ high school-to-college transition. In order to help achieve a smooth transition, Future Institute is hosting a half-day symposium at East-West University (816 S Michigan Ave #2185, Chicago, IL 60605) for almost 200 Chicago high school seniors from CMSA, HSA McKinley Park, and HSA Southwest Chicago. The focus of this symposium will be on aiding these seniors’ transitions post high school transition with a focus on their transition to college. The keynote address will be given by Darnell Leatherwood, Public Speaker and Congressional Candidate.
Topics* covered in this symposium are as follows:
- First-Year Transition by UIC Office of First-Year Initiatives representative
- Paying for School (scholarships, loans, financial aid, work-study) by Abel Montoya, Director of Outreach Operations at Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC)
- Time Management and Study Habits
- Undocumented Student/Parent Resources
- Financial Independence
- Exploring Majors/Careers
- College Alternatives and ICATT Apprenticeship
There will also be panels with Concept graduates who are now attending college and participating in Future Institute’s main transition-focused program called the Future Leaders Initiative (FLI). High school attendees will be encouraged to ask panelists questions about what to expect in and how to prepare for college.
*A schedule will be released once breakout session presenters are confirmed.